Nothing improves the environment of a bathroom quite like live plants. Beautiful, natural and able to freshen the air, plants are both aesthetically pleasing and beneficial. So, if you’re looking to give your bathroom a boost, you can’t go wrong with a little greenery — especially when you choose a plant that is well-suited to the bathroom environment. The key is to avoid plants such as succulents, which do best in dry conditions, and opt instead for those that thrive in warmth, humidity and low light.
Which plants are good choices for decorating your bathroom space? Here are a few examples of great greenery options for a bathroom:
- Aloe vera — There’s a lot to love about aloe vera, from the way its gel soothes cuts and burns, to its ability to thrive in bathroom environments. Other perks: aloe vera is easy to grow, handles temperature swings like a pro and requires minimal care.
- Bamboo — Bamboo is so low maintenance, it doesn’t even need soil in its planter to grow. A simple jar filled with small stones and water is all it takes. This makes it a perfect choice for the bath.
- Begonia — If you’d like a flowering plant in your bathroom, try a begonia. Sporting pretty pink, white and rose-colored blooms, these plants can flourish in the fluorescent lighting that’s common in these spaces. Pro tip: avoid overwatering begonias, which can cause root rot.
- Ivy — A plant that can improve indoor air quality is a welcome addition to any bathroom. Use English ivy to add a touch of trailing greenery and help refresh your bathroom space.
- Orchid — Happy in indirect light and damp, humid environments, orchids are a natural choice to brighten your bathroom and their blooms last for weeks.
For more about the best plants to incorporate into your bathroom decorating scheme, take a look at the attached resource. In it, you’ll find information on the benefits plants provide in the bathroom, as well as a roundup of some of the best choices for this area of the home.
Author bio: Erica Garland is Content Marketing Manager at Modern Bathroom and has 15-plus years of experience in the bathroom renovation industry. Modern Bathroom sells a variety of products you would need for any bathroom renovation project. With such a large selection of vanities, faucets, sinks, toilets and showers, Modern Bathroom is sure to have the perfect piece to give your bathroom an updated look.
Graphic created by Modern Bathroom, where shoppers can buy a bathroom mirror online