Young men want to join different types of professions that have high demand in the market. Plumbing is a popular job that opens the scope of earning a lot by working as a freelancer or by joining a plumbing contractor’s company. It is essential to undergo full-time vocational training in plumbing to acquire all the skills required to be a competent plumber. He should be well-acquainted with his duties and all responsibilities to be fulfilled in this job profile.
Major works to be done as a plumber
- It is the foremost duty of a plumber to study the whole map of the plumbing system of his client, including all drainpipes and other plumbing features. The blueprint of the entire building helps to understand the nature of plumbing and other related details.
- He must be efficient in installing all sorts of plumbing features, like sinks, taps, bathtubs, showerheads, and toilets in the pre-planned spaces of kitchens and bathrooms of his clients. He can also suggest clients for buying the best plumbing features of reliable brands from the market.
- He should be knowledgeable about installing the supportive fixtures for drainpipes and other plumbing parts to boost the longevity of the plumbing system at the clients’ place. Only a well-trained plumber can fit the required valves and other fixtures at the correct points for the smooth functioning of the plumbing system.
- In case of installing a new plumbing line, he takes accurate measurements of the pipes and other fittings that are required there. He carries pipe cutters and sharp saws to cut off the extra length of purchased pipes and other plumbing materials into perfect sizes.
- An experienced plumber can easily install all models of air-conditioners, room heaters, and water heating systems at his clients’ homes or offices. He reads the manufacturers’ instructions and carefully installs the devices into the sites pointed by clients so that these heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) machines work efficiently for a long time.
- Many plumbers are appointed for long term to take regular care of the maintenance of the plumbing systems of their clients. They check the pipelines and other plumbing features for leakages or other faults, which is more important for old buildings. If they spot any problem in plumbing lines, they can take immediate steps for repairing those defects with all the needed materials. They replace old and worn-out plumbing parts to keep the whole system in sound condition.
- In the case of new constructions, expert plumbers are hired by all builders for chalking out and developing the plumbing systems. These plumbers maintain continuous coordination with the contractors, architects, electricians, and other people involved with those constructions. They set the plumbing lines according to the building plans and all plumbing features are installed according to the requirements of the builders.
- A plumber must discuss with the client about the budget allotted for fixing plumbing issues, before buying materials for repairs or installation of new features. However, he should also maintain the legal plumbing codes and standards set for preserving the health of citizens.
- Plumbers associated with reputed contracting firms need to keep written records of all plumbing works done at their clients’ places. They also need to report to their companies about all plumbing repairs and new installations conducted for their clients.
There are different levels of plumbers, based on their experience and expertise. Thus, they are categorised as part-time plumbers, master plumbers, and plumbing technicians. All these plumbers need to be licensed by the local civic authorities. An expert plumber should use the latest technology-aided tools for carrying out all types of plumbing works, due to which assignments are completed very quickly.